Saturday, August 29, 2009

Don't Give Up!

Hey guys sorry for the lack of WIP updates on this blog, been super busy at work and at home taking care of kid lately.
I've been working on my Falke for the past week or so and should have some pictures up soon.

Been wanting to write something motivational since one Sunday's sermon I heard something from my pastor. It's about not giving up doing something when we fail on it. I just took it and relate it to my modeling hobby.

When I started out modeling seriously as an adult, I thought I was pretty good (ha ha I am a very self confident guy). But then when I took part in my first modeling competition over at PLAMO in 2007 WOOB2, I got the truth handed to me. Here's my entry http://plamo.outthere.info/forum/showthread.php?tid=2144 which took the LAST place honors.
Truth be told, I every nearly threw in the towel at that time, not because I did not win, but more because I saw my standard as too far below everyone else... I had bought modeling books to read, took time to design the logo, took leave to do the model kit though I rushed it out last minute blah blah blah... Looking back at this model, it is really quite rough in the finishing and not that I have progressed much now from 2007 in terms of skill.

I am an optimistic guy, like my dad, and just tried not to think too much about it.
In 2008 I think I won 2 prizes over at Hobbyfanatics but that was because there was like very few entries in the competition.
Reading articles over at Spruecutters and PLAMO made me 'grew' in terms of maturely treating modeling as a hobby.

2009 I was back again with my Griffon Labor
http://plamo.outthere.info/forum/showthread.php?tid=5825
and Gasaraki Ishtar II
http://plamo.outthere.info/forum/showthread.php?tid=5824
and well I did not land on the bottom, that's a pat to my own back, but did you see the other entries??!
They were so much better!

And lastly on the Baby Falke build, when I brought it into m workshop, and saw the other entries, I actually wanted to walk out as my base was like half-completed and I told myself 'Damn! Those kits look powerfully done!'. I was just glad to take part and join in the fun.

The joy in modeling for me I've come to realize, is really the modding/building part, the process and interaction I get from other modelers.
At the end of the day its just plastic/resin... And so what if I win today? Just look around and see the thousands of guys better than me. I am just happy to be part of the model fan, and hopefully improve with every build.

Point is, don't give up if its something you like to do / its the right thing to do.
Got your finished kit dissed by someone? Go and improve your skills!
See their comments (most of the time they are right) and work on your weak spots. Improve your strong points!
Practice!
Try things out (but NOT for a competition piece)
Start early in a competition!
Take a course!
Post your WIP and ask for honest critical analysis!

Eventually you WILL make it.

Hey I am not saying I've made it hor, still got long long long way to go.
Guess this is not a very motivating blog entry...ha ha!
(I could share with you how I spent 8 years of my life chasing a single girl only to be rejected again and again, but now she's my wife. But THAT's another story :) )

Here's a great motivating clip someone shared over at PLAMO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QbgOGnbxDo&feature=player_embedded

Keep modeling dudes!

No comments: